Exploring the world

.
Hush...this is a secret...I wanna explore the world. It's my mission in life. :) And it looks like I am about to embark on this mission, sooner than I think.
...
Is it possible to visit ALL the Smithsonian Museums in just ONE day?
Argh.
Maybe not, but I will try!
Admission is FREE!

SMITHSONIAN CASTLEOpen 8:30am-5:30pm
AFRICAN ART MUSEUMOpen 10am-5:30pm
AIR AND SPACE MUSEUMOpen 10am-5:30pm
AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM UDVAR-HAZY CENTEROpen 10am-5:30pm
AMERICAN ART MUSEUM & PORTRAIT GALLERYOpen 11:30am-7pm
AMERICAN HISTORY MUSEUMOpen 10am-5:30pm
AMERICAN INDIAN MUSEUMOpen 10am-5:30pm
ANACOSTIA COMMUNITY MUSEUMOpen 10am-5pm
FREER & SACKLER GALLERIESOpen 10am-5:30pm
HIRSHHORN MUSEUM AND SCULPTURE GARDENOpen 10am-5:30pm
NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUMOpen 10am-5:30pm
POSTAL MUSEUMOpen 10am-5:30pm
RENWICK GALLERY OF THE AMERICAN ART MUSEUMOpen 10am-5:30pm
RIPLEY CENTER INTERNATIONAL GALLERYOpen 10am-5:30pm
NATIONAL ZOO.




When I told my father that I want to visit the Smithsonian Museums in Washington, DC first before going back to LA after a conference in Annapolis, Maryland, he immediately asked me if I knew who James Smithson was. Shamefully, I don't. So my father (who is not a historian btw but knows alot about US history, world politics and current events; just the other day we discussed about the life of Ted Kennedy!) lectured me on the history of the Smithonian Museums. Apparently, James Smithson was a British scientist who wrote in his last will and testament that should his sole beneficiary, his nephew, die without an heir, all his money should go to the United States of America and be used to propagate knowledge among men. Crazy, right? Why couldn't it be the Philippines?! Anyway, he died in 1829 but it was only in 1836 that the US Congress accepted the legacy which was about $500, 000!
Whew. Nice. Now I know. Thanks, Pa.

Comments

Popular Posts