Defining Success

People define success in various ways. Culture, society, education, gender, class, religion, among others contribute to our understanding/standard of what success is. Some find success in a hefty bank account, some in joining NGOs and doing social work, some in attaining two to three academic degrees, some in writing poems, in singing songs and painting faces, some in raising their children, some in acquiring territories, some in freedom from their colonizers, some in just getting by from day to day, and yes, some in making it to the most wanted list of the FBI.

You see, I believe that people view life and define life differently. Success, like anything/everything in the world is relative...people view it differently...never had a universal meaning...only vague resemblances but never exactly one and the same.

With that in mind, I have my own definition of success. I find it necessary to have a solid definition of one's purpose in life so that you'll never feel lost and disoriented. Of course, success is my end. It is my purpose. But what is success to me?


I don't wanna write it here but just to give you an idea: it's when....I have a degree obtained from a reputable university abroad, im writing books, teaching in admu and dlsu while teaching out-of-school youths, helping those who are less priviledged, travelling to various Asian and African countries, have my own house adorned with wooden furnitures and several bul'ol idols (the big ones!), among others...

Comments

Popular Posts