On Restlessness

Restless.

For as long as I can remember, I have been using this word to describe myself. I am restless. I crave for new experiences and hope to see new places; to grow as a person; and to soak up life and to learn as much as I can.

In a recent conversation, the word popped up again. It seems to me that there are more and more restless people around the world. I know that I am drawn to those kind of people. The great thing about meeting them is the sense of excitement that they bring - the notion that the world is vast and that you can be anywhere and do anything. Oh I love that feeling.

The most difficult part though is the 'drifting apart.' People who explore usually have their own destinations. They transit in your life sometimes for days, some for months, and others even years. But, one day, the transiting stops (though a small part of me resists and wants to believe that we are all in transit anyway). Goodbye is apparent. Sometimes, with distance, silence too comes. And then oblivion.

Travelling alongside each other is probably one of the biggest hurdles to overcome.

Plans change. Destinations shift. Feelings get lost.

How should one wander through life? At this point, I would say: just follow your passion (I have always done this, so I guess I have been steering my life exactly the way I wanted to ever since).

What should we value? The things we learn, I say. The values we espouse. But, most importantly, the relationships we make.

Relationships - the real ones, they remain. They must remain.


Comments

Popular Posts