On Running

I will be upfront, I do not enjoy running. I can run, sure, but it is not an activity that I can honestly say I enjoy. For me, it is very...simple. I know it is difficult and it takes a lot of endurance, discipline, and hard work for real runners to maintain their performance. I just get bored. You put one foot in front of the other, swing your arms, and take control of your breathing. You start and end doing exactly one thing. 

Running is not for everyone. Definitely not for me. But, just because I do not like something does not mean I will automatically say no to it. I love a good challenge. I do not back down to an opportunity to push myself to my limit. I do not turn my back to a new adventure. 

Running a full marathon is still in my bucket list - so now that I can pretty much do whatever I like, no dissertation to hold me back, no one to tell me how stupid it is to push my body too hard, and well, now, I have the time, I decided to leap and take on the challenge - to take that first step towards ticking marathon off my list.

Yesterday, I had my very first 10k race and it was awesome. Sure, I got bored along the way and really felt the compulsion to dance instead (I love dancing, if I can dance my way through life, I will). But, I am proud to say that I never walked (well, except for a few secs at the hydration sections), I didn't stop. That, I can say is an accomplishment. It felt good to sprint at the final few meters, it was nice seeing couples pushing each other, old men who are so fit they run like the wind, great to see the smiles of strangers motivating us as we reach the end, it was awesome receiving that medal at the end (the last gold medal I received was the Rajabhali Gold Medal for my Masters degree...four years ago!).

I thought of Haruki Murakami and his short book "What I Talk about when I Talk about Running." In one section he wrote: 

“For me, running is both exercise and a metaphor. Running day after day, piling up the races, bit by bit I raise the bar, and by clearing each level I elevate myself. At least that’s why I’ve put in the effort day after day: to raise my own level. I’m no great runner, by any means. I’m at an ordinary – or perhaps more like mediocre – level. But that’s not the point. The point is whether or not I improved over yesterday. In long-distance running the only opponent you have to beat is yourself, the way you used to be.” 

I get it. I understand this yearning to push and really, evolve. I would like to think I am that kind of person too - someone who is persistent to improve and find new ways to explore and experience life and myself. Nonetheless, I do this in other forms, other than running. 

Now, it is one day after the race, I feel a slight sore in my knees but it is almost negligible. I will run that marathon. Nothing can stop me, it might take time, but nothing will stop me from getting there. 





Comments

Popular Posts